- 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed to drain as much of the liquid out as possible
- 1 cup of unsweeted, unflavored soy milk
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1/2 cup flour - the first time, I used brown rice flour (so it was gluten free), the second time I used part brown rice flour and part whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (optional) -- I left these out when I made them gluten free
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt - or garlic powder and salt
- 2 tbsp Earth balance butter/margarine/soy spread
- 3 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp water
-Once pressed, cut the tofu into 2 bite size cubes or triangles. I used and much preferred the triangles.
-Mix the soy milk, the cornstarch, and the 2tbsp of hot sauce together in a bowl. Make sure its mixed well and then the cornstarch isn't in a glob on the bottom.
-Do this with all of your tofu. Cover the plate and refrigerate at least an hour (or until you're ready to cook and eat)
-Preheat oven to 375.
Sidenote: typical buffalo sauce recipes are equal parts butter and hot sauce, I tried to cut down on the butter by adding water, which I think worked well. Feel free to omit the water and just use the butter.
-Put the coated tofu on a lightly greased non stick baking pan.
**I found that the ones that I used the panko in were a bit drier and you may want to add a bit more hot sauce to the top.
-Drizzle with additional hot sauce, if desired, again using the same ratios (butter : hot sauce, 1 : 1) or (butter : water : hot sauce, 2 : 1 : 3)
Vegan Not Really Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least an hour
- 1/4 cup water / soy milk
- about a quarter of a package firm tofu
- 2 tbsp veganaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp agave
- 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
and puree them in.
to use it on my salad, I took some out and
whisked in a bit of water to thin it out
and make it more ideal to use on a salad